Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Writing Workshop: A Metaphor

This week, one of my assignments was to come up with a metaphor to describe writing workshops to parents.  Here's what I came up with:
Like a lot of things, a writer’s workshop is like learning to ride a bike…

If I do not know how to ride a bike, I would likely rely on someone who does know how to ride a bike to show me how.  But if someone gives instruction, encouragement, and guidance, well, is that enough to get my gears cranking?  If they get on the bike and show me how to ride, is that enough to get me started on my own biking journey?
Maybe this person who already knows how to ride a bike can show me.  That still will not be enough.  I need to get in the saddle, and try it for myself.  Although I may fall from time to time, what matters is that I learn.  I can still receive help as the terrain changes.  The more I receive guidance, and the more I try, the better I will become.


It's simple, but, hey, isn't a metaphor's job to simplify?

No comments:

Post a Comment